Tuesday 1 August 2017

Wildly unpopular opinions and rants......

Here we go with the unpopular opinions....


Thank goodness that this is MY blog and unless I disparage someone in particular or bad mouth a company it is understood that this is my opinion and my opinion alone.  (Not really, but I'll voice it anyway)

So this morning I woke up wondering how I could help my 2 friends in Florida with me being in Canada.  Between exchange rates and school starting for my daughter at the end of this month, money is a bit tight for this month.  Teenagers cost quite a bit more than one would expect and unless you have one currently or have had one in the last 10 years, it's a bit difficult to comprehend.

I have a set of knitting needles that I haven't even taken out of the package in 2 years, they're still in pristine condition, but I digress....  A couple of other friends design and sell patterns.  

My friends in Florida came up with a brilliant idea to start a mobile yarn shop.  Being the energetic, talented, gung ho person that Gregory Patrick is, he calculated (down to the dollar) how much it would cost to get this operation up and running.  He's run himself to the bone making phone calls, sending emails and putting this plan into motion.  He even started a Go Fund Me page.  He and his husband Phillip Champlain already bust their butts creating, marketing and selling Strange Friends and knit Teddy Bears.  This is what they do for a living.  Gregory is a published author and EVERY DAY this man is up early either working with yarns to create what's been ordered or marketing what needs to be sold to pay their bills and make it day to day.  He does it because he loves it.

I came up with the idea to help by organizing a Raffle, donating the needles I don't use and our other friends and they're supporters donating patterns for free to raffle off.  For a $3 donation to the Go Fund Me page, you would get a ticket and at the end of the week, we would draw random names to win the prizes.  We got shot down.  They are a for profit page.  They're entrepreneurs and hard workers who are busting their asses to make the American Dream a reality for themselves.  Looking to not only help themselves but give their community something unique and original. 

I have no real issue with being told NO, I can't do something when there's solid reasoning behind it.  I have seen Go Fund Me pages for Disney vacations, nicer cars, weddings, honeymoons, Christmas and birthday gifts for kids, family reunions and more.  Basically, people begging for money for shit they can't afford, aren't willing to work for and in a nutshell, don't deserve.

Churches hold raffles, community outreach programs hold raffles and these are designed to "get the roof fixed", created baskets and buy toys for the needy, so on and so forth.  Don't get me wrong, if you want to help, by all means, it's your right to determine where your money goes.  Nonprofit organizations are great.  Then you have the "Jack and Jill" type raffles where a couple has a party charging a cover charge and a raffle to collect money for a wedding or honeymoon.  Those are apparently OK.  Using a raffle, silent auction or other system offering prizes for donations is alright as long it's for something frivolous.  But put together something to help friends create a business that will pay taxes and generate income for not only suppliers and property owners, it's a no go.

But, alas, rules are rules, no matter how confusing and open ended.  I'm asking you, to please, help the guys.  If you're not familiar with Gregory Patrick and Phillip Champlain, click the links below and learn about them.  Buy a bear, buy a book, buy a Strange Friend or simply Donate $5 to their cause.  Make the American Dream a reality for 2 great guys.  Thanks.



https://www.gofundme.com/two-rednecks-and-a-yarn-truck


http://gregorypatrick.bigcartel.com/


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFUcADv2iqffMvDFIF_yQxQ


1 comment:

  1. Most raffles have to have a licence in Canada to hold them -- even for charities. But hopefully your post and posts from Gregory will help get the donations they require. Know I have done what I could.

    ReplyDelete